Monday, November 2, 2009

The End is Near ... on going back to work.

Well, the end is near. This is the last week of my maternity leave. Of course, it's always hard to go back to work after a long absence. After all the joy and excitement of the pregnancy and birth, it's hard to imagine not having Sophia with me all day. I'm not thrilled about it, but I don't feel devasted ... yet! I do feel a little anxious, wondering how that first day will feel as I leave for a full day of work followed by three hours of my Monday night class!

I think I've had a good length of time away from work to adapt to being a new mum. I know that's an ongoing process, but the shock of those first few weeks is wearing off! Ahhh, the sleep deprivation, the realization of being responsible for this new, tiny life ... forever.

I tried to make the most of it all, and treasure the time with my little girl, but life keeps rolling along and some days were so hectic, with a round of doctor appointments for myself, Sophia and my brother, who was in a car accident this summer. Not to mention my on-line classes that started only a few days after Sophia was born. In some ways I've never felt busier.

This morning was so beautiful, with miles of clear blue skies. I made a promise to myself that I would enjoy this last week as much as possible. Sophia and I missed so many pretty days when she was newborn because I didn't always have the energy to get myself and her dressed to go out. So this morning I packed up the stroller and we headed out to the park. The air was fresh and warm, the leaves that were left on the trees were gorgeous shades of red and yellow.

Sophia is sleeping now on the boppy in my lap as I write this. Our first sweet months being together full-time are drawing to a close. Over the last week she's become unusually clingy, refusing formula if I'm around, wanting to nurse for comfort more than hunger. I know its impossible but she almost seems to know.

If I were independently wealthy, would I go back to work now? I'm not sure, maybe not so soon. For me though, the work I do is meaningful. I know I'll be super-busy with school too but I love learning so much. There, I said it even if it makes me sound like a dork. I think it will all be worth it in the long-run, both for myself and for her. I want my daughter to know me as a person who lived a vibrant life that matched my ideals. I want her to know that I worked hard to fulfill my dreams. I want her to have that kind of life one day too.

My beautiful, sociable little girl is smiling up at me now, waiting for me to bless her with my attention. Excuse me while I check if she can still hear me ... :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!